Newborn health.You've heard me talk about it before and I'm sure you know how big of an advocate I am for healthy babies. I knew nothing about newborn screening, pulse ox, or the importance of education until after Corbin was born. I can't imagine living in a place where it is customary to hold off naming your child for a couple months in case they pass away. But sadly this is the case in countries where many, many babies don't live past a couple months. After Corbin passed away, I delved deep into the world of newborn health and awareness to try and help. You can help too...
Did you know:
- Nearly 3 million newborns die each year globally?
- A newborn is 45 times more likely to die in the first month of life, when compared to age 1 month to 5 years?
- The major causes of newborn death are prematurity, infection, and birth asphyxia- when a baby’s brain and other organs do not get enough oxygen before, during or right after birth are?
- Complications of preterm birth are the second leading cause of death in children before their fifth birthday?
- The majority of these newborn deaths can be prevented?
From April 15-18th, in Johannesburg, South Africa the Global Newborn Health Conference will be meeting to talk about newborn health and how we can all help to prevent newborn and infant death.
The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation is holding an awareness campaign for newborn health by partnering with USAID’s Maternal and Child Health Integrated Program (MCHIP), Save the Children’s Saving Newborn Lives (SNL) and the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) by hosting a four-day conference.