This month, as part of the Global Team of 200, one of my blog topics is how to support birthing mothers in Uganda. This is a fantastic resource that I hope you take the time to read about.
In a world where not everyone is guaranteed a safe birth, medical attention, insurance, or testing; this organization is so important for mothers who are trying to have a safe and healthy birth.
The program also offers women the opportunity to work for themselves. They currently have 21 mothers and grandmothers who have been given the training and skills needed to secure a monthly income for themselves. The products they make are sold in North America with profits going directly to the women and the programs established in their area.
In addition, they also receive:
- Monthly workshops on savings and financial training, literacy skills, business skills
- A bicycle to travel to work and back
- Health supplements and access to all services at the Shanti Uganda Birth House
- Ongoing goal setting support
- A Garden club for all members of Shanti Uganda’s Women’s Income Generating Group, increasing their access to land and food security
- Onsite Community Garden providing fresh vegetables to all antenatal, labouring and postnatal clients
- Monthly Community Garden workshops for clients and community members covering nutrition, organic gardening techniques, sustainable agriculture and food preparation
Want to help? You can! The graphics below are just two of the options you have. Simply visit this link to find out more!